Whenever weather is dreary (like last Sunday), veggie chili comes to the rescue. It is such comfort food for me. And the prep is so quick! Throw all of the ingredients in, swish them around, and that’s it. Boom.
Here’s what I did:
– (2) 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
– (1) 15.25 oz can of black beans, drained
– (2) 15.25 oz cans of kidney beans, drained (I used dark red, but light red would work also)
– Half of a 12 oz bag of frozen “faux” ground beef (the Morningstar Farms version is my fave)
– (1) onion, chopped
– (1) package of chili seasoning (I used McCormick Mild)
– (1) healthy splash (or three) of beer (this one happened to be my favorite Smartmouth Saison that I raved about in my Day of Crafts post)
Throw all of the above in a slow cooker set on low, walk away, and let it work its magic for about 5 hours.
I usually serve it in a big bowl over rice, but it can definitely stand on its own. It was the perfect dinner for a rainy night, and there were plenty of leftovers to enjoy for the next few days (which we did – we still have two servings in the freezer also).
What’s your go-to rainy day meal?